Allergies can be a terrible nuisance for those who experience them. Spores can float in the air and have several different ways to enter a home. Unfortunately, this can cause people to have unpleasant reactions. Some people experience itchy eyes, a watery nose, or even headaches. Pet owners, in particular, are known to suffer from allergens in the air caused by pet dander.
What are allergies?
Allergic reactions, also known as the immune response of the body, occur to fight against foreign substances found in the environment. These substances trigger a hypersensitivity reaction. Hypersensitivity is an ‘’inappropriate immune response to common, typically harmless antigens (foreign substances), ranging from minor (atopic dermatitis and rhinitis) to severe manifestations (anaphylaxis, anaphylactoid and asthma)’’(1).
These foreign substances include food, pet dander, insect stings and medications. Some people are more sensitive to pet hair due to their hypersensitive immune systems. Pet hair can trigger the degranulation of mast cells and basophilic cells. These two cells are responsible for causing an allergic reaction. The prevalence of allergies is 1.6% annually(2).
Tips to Avoid Flare Up of Allergic Reactions
Reducing your exposure to the things that trigger your allergy signs and symptoms (allergens) is crucial to avoid flare of up allergic reactions. Here are some tips to avoid allergy triggers to common substances such as pollen:
- On dry or windy days, people should stay indoors to minimize exposure to pollen and grass
- The best time to go out is after it has rained because rain clear pollen from the air
- After entering the house, immediately change your clothes to rinse pollen from your hair and skin.
- Use a mask to filter out pollen when outdoors
- Use an air conditioner in your house and as well as car
- Carefully read food products label to check for the presence of allergens (such as peanuts)
- Some people become allergic even to fragrances. Use fragrance free soap.
- Wash clothes with fragrance free soap.
- Take hot showers
- Drink plenty of water
How Does an Air Purifier Work to Relieve Allergies?
An air purifier cleanses indoor air and removes particles and chemicals which cause allergic reactions:
- Contains a pre-filter that eliminates macro or large particles such as pet hair, dust and pollen
- The HEPA filter filters out “99.97% of fine airborne particles such as mold, bacteria, viruses, fine pollen particles
- The deep-bed activated carbon filter adsorbs airborne odor, gases and chemicals. The carbon filter traps and attracts chemicals like formaldehyde, volatile organic compounds, benzene via their tiny fissures and pores.
- The surface area of activated carbon is enormous and allows the complete removal of gases and chemicals. Other filters, in comparison, with smaller surface areas for chemicals to bind become saturated quickly with pollutants, which leads to poor filtration of airborne contaminants.
- Similarly, an activated carbon sponge surface is able to absorb more chemical compounds and gases. The absorption capacity of this sponge is highly dependent upon sponge depth and size.
- The absorbing power of an air purifier for chemicals and odors depends upon activated carbon surface and depth.
The Best Purifiers for Relief from Airborne Allergens such as Pet Hair and Pollen
General air purifiers can dramatically increase the quality of the air around you. However, if you are suffering from allergies, you will want to choose an air purifier that is designed to remove airborne allergens. In most cases, this means choosing an air purifier with several layers of filtration: 1) a pre-filter to remove large particles such as pet hair, dander and pollen, 2) a HEPA filter to remove smaller irritants floating in the air, as well as 3) a robust carbon filter to remove chemicals and odors that can cause sensitivity and flare up of allergies. In contrast, cheaper air purifiers at your local store may not provide adequate filtration capabilities to adequately remove allergens.
Here are our recommendations for the best air purifiers for allergies. Click on the title of the product to learn more.
Austin Air Allergy Machine
True to its name, this air purifier was made with allergies in mind. It is equipped with a powerful medical-grade HEPA filter, as well as a unique military-grade HEGA carbon filter. These filters work together to remove allergens from the air around you. It was made to reduce asthma attacks, coughing, and even improve sleep quality. Austin Air is a trusted brand chosen by government organizations, including the American Red Cross and FEMA, and has been clinically proven in studies with leading healthcare institutions such as John Hopkins.
- Recommended for people who live in damp environments, where a lot of mood grows
- Effective against bacteria and viruses
- Medical-grade HEPA filter successfully removes 95% airborne viruses of up to 0.1 microns or greater
- The additional “military-grade HEGA carbon filter” is highly effective for the removal of pollen, dust and noxious gases.
Austin Air Healthmate
This multipurpose air purifier was made to purify air with extra care. It works on viruses, smoke, chemicals, allergens, making it an effective all-purpose machine. This system is ideal for allergy sufferers with its medical-grade HEPA filter and offers support for up to 1500 square feet. As an added bonus, it is also incredibly low maintenance and durable, making it an easy and comfortable investment.
- Highly recommended for people who have become a victim of allergies and asthma
- Improves air quality which is important for those sensitive to chemical substances and airborne particles.
- Suitable for every indoor usage
- Significantly advantageous for indoor areas like schools and offices with a great number of people
- Purifies air for a coverage area of 1500 square feet
- Contains an advanced four-layer filter which purifies air from pollen, dust, pet hair, large particles, volatile organic gases and compounds present in cleaning supplies
- Comes with an affordable price
AllerAir Air Medic Pro 5
The Air Medic Pro 5 is a wonderful system that has been designed to target allergens. With a medical-grade HEPA filter and a powerful carbon filter, this device is great for cleansing the air impurities. In addition to targeting spores and traditional allergens, the Air Medic Pro 5 is effective at combatting mold, which can cause serious adverse health effects. Many people unknowingly suffer from mold allergies and mold can lead to bigger health risks as well. This purifier removes mold and dust from the air as well as allergens such as pet dander and insect waste.
- Offers custom options of “Exec carbon” for standard air cleaning.
- Have “Vocarb carbon” for areas with higher pollution such as home renovation or new homes with a high concentration of chemicals and odors.
- Has an option for UV light for germicidal activity
- Recommended for home environments to make your home mold free, dust free, and free from household chemicals, allergies, asthma stimulants and household pollutants.
- Covers an area of 1500 square feet and highly proposed for commercial use
- Have multiple high-quality filters that removes pet dander, chemicals, insect waste and odors
- Contains a powerful HEPA filter removes 99.97% of fine airborne particles 0.3 microns and above
- Its “2.5-inch carbon bed” can reduce symptoms of headache dizziness and additional effects of chemical exposure. This carbon can absorb chemicals like cleaning agents and. volatile organic compounds.
- Carbon can also absorb airborne chemicals originating from paint, glue, fuel and from different odors
- A unique metal design that can be easily disinfected.
AllerAir Air Medic Pro 5 Plus
This advanced model, the Air Medic Pro 5 Plus is designed to offer everything that a basic efficacious model offers and more. With this powerful device, you can breathe freely without any fear of viruses, bacteria, mold, chemicals, and allergens, it offers support for an area up to 1500 square feet and is recommended for home or office environments. With its super high-efficiency HEPA filter and three-inch deep carbon bed, the Air Medic Pro 5 is ready to tackle any challenge. This filter will clear your air and can dramatically reduce allergy symptoms.
- With its super HEPA filter, it can filter air from viruses up to size of 0.1 microns.
- Highly recommended for office and home usage and can remove bacterial, mild, viruses, chemicals and even odors.
- Multiple high-quality ultra-filters can remove any type of airborne allergens like pet dander, pollen, dust, insect waste, germs and chemicals
- Deep 3-inch carbon bed effective for reduction of symptoms like headache, dizziness and toxic chemical exposure
- Ultraviolet light optimization offer protection by killing germs
- A unique metal design, easy to use and can be disinfected with no effort.
Enviroklenz UV-C Mobile Air Purifier
The Enviroklenz UV-C is a mobile air purification system trusted by many people, business owners, medical and dental practices to keep patients and employees safe with clean air. This ideal device is equipped with high-quality technology that delivers optimal results. It treats viruses, bacteria, mold, and allergens. Even better, it is equipped with germ-killing UVC light that keeps air clean from germs. With a hospital-grade HEPA filter and military-grade technology, this model offers support for up to 1000 square feet and can help allergy sufferers to breathe easier by removing dust, mold and other allergy triggers. With this system, breathing difficulties usually resolve.
- Recommended for people who are exposed to smoke: cigarettes wild fire smoke, cigars, noxious gases and chemical odors, bacteria mold and virus
- An ideal option for those living in high traffic environments, like dental offices schools, childcare centers, schools, salons.
- Highly recommended for people suffering from allergies
- Comes with Hospital grade HEPA filtration, and is 99.97% effective at filtering particles greater than 0.3 microns
- Original Proprietary technology especially designed for decontamination of chemical warfare which can remove stubborn compounds. And this Enviroklenz® Mobile UV Air Purifier particularly combines chemical neutralization and particulate removal. Kill two birds with one stone!
- Effectively reduces mildew and mold
- Portable and easy to operate
Enviroklenz Mobile Air System
The Enviroklenz Mobile Air System was made to quickly clean the air. Designed with hospital-grade filtration and military-grade chemical removal, this one purifier does an excellent job as a purifier. This device offers great support at home or in small offices with its 1000 square foot range. It targets allergens, mold, and viruses. Its mobile build technology allows you to move it from room to room and is a great pick for those who prefer facilities at hand!
- With its filtration systems., this product can successfully cope with high-traffic environments. Where viruses and bacteria can easily spread like homes, workplaces and dental offices.
- Highly recommended for people living near factories and are trouble from their smoke
- Offer solution for wildfires smoke, cigarettes smoke and protect people suffering from respiratory conditions like asthma and allergies.
- Includes original Proprietary technology especially designed for decontamination of chemical warfare and can remove stubborn compound like noxious gases, volatile organic compounds and paint.
- Portable and easy to operate
The I600 is designed to provide relief from asthma, allergies and door. It features an ultra-air filtration system and a medical grade HEPA filter to remove dander, pollen, bacteria, viruses, mold and irritants which trigger symptoms in numerous people suffering from asthma and allergies. With a filtration surface of 100 square feet, it offers effective particle removal. Users who live in areas prone to mold will find this device to be an exceptional option, particularly during the cold season when the indoors are heated.
- A great solution for people having allergies and breathing problems. People can place this device at home workplace or even this device be used at industrial use. This device works best in all these environments.
- With its “Large 3 inches deep, powerful, medical grade efficiency particulate air HEPA filter”, it captures 99.97% of air borne particles of the smallest size (0.3 microns) like dust, allergens, pollen, viruses and bacteria. It does not matter if you are using it at home or a working environment.
- A leakage free system, with a pressure seal on top of the filter chamber that will not allow any dirty air to pass through its filters.
- Noise free, you can sleep peacefully
- With a fan speed of 560 cubic feet per minute, it is superior to other purifiers because it can purify air faster.
1. Fischer D, Vander Leek TK, Ellis AK, Kim H. Anaphylaxis. Allergy, asthma, and clinical immunology : official journal of the Canadian Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2018;14(Suppl 2):54.
2. Lieberman P, Camargo CA, Jr., Bohlke K, Jick H, Miller RL, Sheikh A, et al. Epidemiology of anaphylaxis: findings of the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology Epidemiology of Anaphylaxis Working Group. Annals of allergy, asthma & immunology : official publication of the American College of Allergy, Asthma, & Immunology. 2006;97(5):596-602.